Monday, November 2, 2009

NYC Marathon 2009: From the expo to the starting line

Expo (Friday)

From NYC Marathon 2009


I went to the Marathon expo on Friday afternoon. Got my bib, a long-sleeve technical shirt and the goody bag. I really like the shirt, can't wait to wear it on my next run.

From NYC Marathon 2009


The goody bag wasn't much of a "goody" bag. A bottle of water, a bag of almonds, lots of paper stuff, a key chain, a small bag, a pocket-sized anti-bacterial spray... that's about it. I went around the expo and tried some powerbar samples, got some adhesive fabric-like nametag to write my name on, got a fake running photo taken at the New Balance exhibit, and got a customized 6:00 pacing band from the Nike exhibit. Took the free shuttle bus to Paragon Sports and so happened, Deena Kastor (a top American women marathoner) was in the store signing autographs. So took a detour and lined up to get an autographed poster of her. She wrote: Ailsa, Reach for the stars!

From NYC Marathon 2009


Last minute preparation (Saturday night)

To bring or not to bring? Long sleeve or short sleeve? Thin socks or thick socks? Sunblock? Sunglasses? So many decisions to make...

Then it is time to pin the bib on the shirt. Wrote my name on the fabric name tag and stuck it on my shirt. Attached the timing D-tag on my shoes. Turn back the clock on my watch and cellphone, set the alarm for 5:30am. Made my peanut butter and strawberry jam sandwiches. And went to bed by 11pm and tried to get some sleep...

From NYC Marathon 2009


Race day (Sunday)

5:30am - Woke up, quickly got ready, took some pictures, double-checked that I didn't forget anything.

From NYC Marathon 2009


From NYC Marathon 2009


6:25am - Left my friend's place for the Roosevelt Island tram station. Took the tram, walked a few blocks to the subway station and took the train to the ferry terminal. Saw several runners with their UPS bags in the tram. Saw many more runners at the subway station. Ate half a sandwich and drank some Gatorade on the way.

7:10am - Arrived at the ferry terminal. Lots and lots of runners there. I found a seat and ate a banana.

7:30am - Started to line up at the door to the ferry but had to wait around 15-20 minutes before I got on the ferry.

7:50am - On the ferry, ate the other half of my sandwich, drank more. Runners everywhere. I even saw a girl with Lehigh sweatpants on but didn't get to talk to her.

8:22am - Arrived at Staten Island. The staff/volunteers were directing the runners to the right exit to get to the bus. They were using words like "runners" and "marathoners" and I couldn't help but smile. They are referring to me as a marathoner. In actuality, at that moment I was still a would be marathoner :)

8:28am - On the bus. No more seats, had to stand. A lady nearby was complaining that she had to stand...haha.

8:45am - Arrived at Fort Wadsworths. From then on it was the march of the runners. Walked, stopped, walked some more. So many people.

9:10am - Arrived at the Green waiting area. The first thing on my agenda was coffee! And then got 2 powerbars. Placed a trash bag on the floor and sat down to get some last minute preparation done. I thought I had time but then I heard the announcement that the runners would have to place their bags in the UPS trucks before 9:30am. With that, I started pulling out stuff and made some last minute decision of what I have to carry with me during the race. Decided to keep the "throw-away" jacket and pants (warm clothes that are worn till the very last moment and then left behind at the start area) and stuffed them in my UPS bag. At 9:40am, heard the cannon for the first wave start. Excitement was in the air. Everyone cheered! After that, paid a visit to the potta-potty and as predicted...no toilet paper but I was prepared. Before I knew it, the announcement came on for all runners in Wave 3 to get to their respective corrals. Had a few more bites of another sandwich, ate another banana. Pour some gatorade into a small bottle (I wanted to have something to drink during the first 3 miles). Another march of the runners took place. Walked, stopped, walked, stopped.....

10:08am - In my corral, had to use the potta-potty one last time :) Left behind the throwaway hoodie. I had on my long-sleeve wicking shirt and another throwaway long-sleeve cotton t-shirt on top. Wore a pair of gloves. Had on my running hat. Four powerbar gel packets in my back pocket. In my spibelt pouch: a clifbar (energy bar), cellphone, Metrocard, credit card, tissue paper, lipbalm. In my front pocket: the pocket-sized antibacterial spray and sunglasses. Turned on my Garmin watch and waited for it to lock on to the satellites. Everyone was super excited!

10:20am - The cannon for wave 3 start went off..BOOM! The New York, New York song started playing. Since there were so many people, we had to slowly shuffle towards the starting the line. Crossed the starting line...time to race!

No comments:

Post a Comment