Sunday, September 13, 2009

September 13: Run 1 hour

Week 11 ("long" run): Run 1 hour

Sunday (7:53am)
Distance: 4.52 miles
Duration: 1:00:09
Pace: 13:17/mile
Shoes: Nike Lunarglide
Weather: Partly cloudy, 17C

I've decided to drop mileage training and go by time instead. This way, even if I have to walk a lot, at least I'm getting the time on my feet in and I won't feel dejected if I can't get in such and such miles on a certain day.

I started out doing "run 4 min: walk 1 min" but after about 15 minutes I felt that it was a little too tough on my knees and decided to drop to "run 3 min: walk 2 min." That gave my left knee some time to recover after the short run.

I had on my IT band strap. Although it felt like it was sliding down my thigh but it was actually staying in place quite well. But I wasn't not sure if it was really working. The IT band started to feel tight but it wasn't painful. The run/walk helped a little. The knee did feel sore and tight after the run.

I did the whole run on the running track. Running on the track is one long boring exercise. Just round and round and round. Mentally it's much harder to run 1 hour on the track than it is on the road. At the moment, I don't think I should be pounding on the asphalt yet, plus the roads here have a lot on tiny uphills and downhills, so for my left knee sake I'll endure the track for now.

I went back to using the Nike+ sensor. For some crazy reasons, the Garmin refused to sync to the Garmin Center software. I should send them an email.

Anyway, since I'm going by time now, I don't need accurate measurement on the distance I covered. Whenever I see the pace provided by Nike+, I'll just remember that I'm much slower than that.

For the coming week, I'm thinking I'll work on this schedule:

1st run: Run/walk 45 minutes
2nd run: Run/walk 1 hour (try 15 minutes on the road)
3rd run: Run/walk 45 minutes (try 15 minutes on the road)
Long run: Run/walk 1:45 hours

No comments:

Post a Comment