Sunday, August 16, 2009

August 16: Run 11 miles

Week 7 (long run): 11 miles

Tuesday (6:15am)
Distance: 11.01 miles
Duration: 2:38:30
Pace: 14:24/mile
Shoes: Saucony Omni Ultimate 7
Weather: Sunny, 19-23C, 74% humidity

This had been a lazy week for running but I couldn't miss the long run. Set my alarm clock for 5:15am. When it rang, I was in the middle of a crazy dream and kept thinking why is the alarm clock ringing?! Then it struck me, it's time to get ready for the long run.

It was still dark and quiet outside. Put on my contact lens, got my coffee and peanut butter and jam sandwich, and sat down for a very early breakfast. Soon, the birds started waking up outside.

Applied sunblock (it was still dark outside...crazy!), change into my running gear, packed my bottles of gatorade and water in a cooler with ice packs, synced an additional 2 podcasts to my iPod, and then I could see light outside.

Drove over to the campus sports parking lot, parked underneath some big trees, and it was time to run.

Run 1 mile, walk 1 minute for the first 3 miles.
Run 6 minutes, walk 1 minute for the last 8 miles.

After 6 miles, I ran up to the water fountain by the stadium restrooms. I was looking forward to taste test the Powerbar Strawberry and Banana energy gel when 2 big puppies came bounding up to me and jumping all over me. On ordinary days, I would have been ok with seeing 2 puppies but I got kind of annoyed this time. They were both wet and would not stop pawing at me (they pulled my earphones off) and their owner was nowhere to be seen. I had to quickly gulped down the energy gel. When I saw the owner, I gave her an annoyed, "Can you get your dogs off me?!" Even then the dogs were still all over me and at the same time growling at each other. I quickly went inside the restrooms to avoid the dogs and also to use the facilities. They were gone when I came out.

Three things I noticed during this run:

1. My legs (feet, ankles, knees) were getting really achy during the last 2 miles. This is the first time I reached this level of soreness during a run.

2. My car at the parking lot (where I can see it) was sort of a source of comfort. It's like I'm not far from something familiar and ice-cold drinks are in there!

3. I can run listening to podcasts. I listened to 2 Andy Stanley's podcasts (recommendation from my brother) and some music through the 11 miles. Since I'm just using the iPod to get through the boredom, and not to pump me up to go faster, podcasts worked fine. At least there will always be something new to listen to during the long long long runs.

No comments:

Post a Comment