Friday, June 19, 2009

June 19: Run 5K

Preliminary training program: Run 5K



Friday (7:30pm)
Distance: 3.10 miles
Duration: 41:11
Pace: 13:15/mile
Shoes: Asics Foundation 8
Weather: Mostly cloudy, 22C, 71% humidity
Route: Trail by the stream to the stadium, round the soccer field, on the road all the way to the tennis courts
(Look at the awesome satellite view of my running path!)



I bought a cool new running gadget: the Garmin Forerunner 305 (GPS enabled trainer). Since I'll be slowly building up my miles I thought I should get something to make sure I am actually running those miles. Even though I have the Nike+iPod and I did calibrate the sensor at the running track, I wasn't sure how accurate that was.

So this evening, I happily charged up my new gadget, went out for a 5K run with both the old and the new running gadgets. To my somewhat horror I find out that I'm actually even slower than what I originally thought I was.

When the Nike+ congratulated me for running 5K (3.1 miles), the Garmin only registered 2.8 miles. I ended my run when the Garmin finally showed 3.1 miles, by then Nike+ registered 3.45 miles. The icing on the cake was when Paula Radcliffe (Nike+) congratulated me for running my fastest ever 5K at 37:02. But according to the Garmin, I actually completed the 5K in 41:11. Wow, what an expensive way to measure my slowness...

I should stop worrying about my speed or lack of it and just concentrate on staying healthy and injury-free all the way to the marathon finish line. What I really need to work on is to maintain an appropriate level of enthusiasm and not despair over the craziness of training to run 26.2 miles.

One last thing, I wore a pair of thicker socks with the Asics Foundation this time. No blister.

No comments:

Post a Comment