Sunday, July 12, 2009

July 12: Run 7 miles

Week 2 (long run): 7 miles



Sunday (6:48am)
Distance: 7.00 miles
Duration: 1:35:42
Pace: 13:40/mile
Shoes: Saucony Omni Ultimate 7
Weather: Mostly cloudy, 19C, 77% humidity

Second week of training completed!

It was difficult to get out of bed this morning:

There's going to be many cars on the road (because of the US Women's Open final day) and I may have to run on the trail, and I'll have to run up all those hills and since it rained last night, my shoes are going to get wet...
Maybe I'll run this evening instead...
Maybe I'll run tomorrow morning instead...


Turned out that there were not that many golf fanatics at 7-9am. I could run on the road safely.

Since I ran 6 miles last Sunday, this long run was easier on me psychologically. I knew I would survive it. I had the same strategy as last week: first 2 miles (run 1 mile, walk 1 minute) and last 5 miles (run 5 minutes, walk 1 minute). I told a friend that the "run 5 minutes: walk 1 minute" really helps me because instead of focusing on 5 miles, I just focus on running that 5 minute interval.

Other than 2 moments where I felt some discomfort on my right knee, the run was smooth sailing.

The best part was at the very end when I completed my 7 miles and I turned around and started walking home...I felt like I had accomplished something great!

No comments:

Post a Comment