Sunday, July 26, 2009

July 26: Run 9 miles

Week 4 (long run): 9 miles

Friday (7:05am)
Distance: 9.00 miles
Duration: 2:14:05
Pace: 14:53/mile
Shoes: Saucony Omni Ultimate 7
Weather: Cloudy/Light Rain, 22C, 77% humidity



Eeny, Meeny, Miny, Moe....which of these gels should I take during my long run today?

I chose the Powerbar Vanilla. My very first carbohydrate energy gel. After about an hour of running, I had that with some water. It was salty, sweet, with a slight tinge of medicinal taste. The salty part surprised me most. Not too bad. Now I'll have to wait till next Sunday to choose my next flavor to try.

I kept to the run 9 minutes: walk 1 minute plan. I didn't want to end up with last Sunday's pain on the right foot again so I was doing to my slow shuffle and did not speed up at all. My knees felt sore the first mile and then my shins felt sore the second mile. At the end of the run, my knees were sore again. And 5 hours after the run ended, my calves felt crampy. However I did notice that I wasn't huffing and puffing during this slow shuffle run. And I did manage to keep the metatarsal (ball of foot) pain away or at least I didn't aggravate it.



Lastly, the Philadelphia Eagles have landed on my marathon training ground. For the next 3 weeks, I'll have to end my runs before the Eagles fans start arriving (probably around 8:15am), which is fine during my short runs but I'll have to be out of the house really early for the long runs.

Today, I underestimated my slowness. Went out a little late, took so long to complete 9 miles (elite marathoners would have completed 26.2 miles in that time), and ended up being very late for church.

No comments:

Post a Comment